Upgrade to IBM's Informix Dynamic Server Announced
IBM today announced the general availability of Informix Dynamic Server (IDS) version 10, a next-generation database designed to provide increased performance, reliability and scalability, while helping customers lower total cost of ownership. IBM said IDS v 10 is the most significant upgrade to the Informix platform since 1999.
Capable of handling large volumes of complex data at very high speeds, the company said the enhancements to ease of use and administration delivered by IDS v10 will allow businesses to free up skilled resources and focus on next-generation enterprise applications.
IBM said IDS v10 also features new automated capabilities that ease deployment and administration, as well as security enhancements like data encryption, that enable clients to comply with new regulations such as Sarbanes-Oxley, Basel II and HIPAA. Additionally, IDS v10 offers new editions and more flexible licensing options than any previous version - further lowering the total cost of ownership (TCO).
“Companies that need their data and transaction resources to be available 24x 7 will be pleased with the release of IDS 10,” said Gerd Kaluzinksi, Senior Systems Engineer, BYTEC GmbH. “With this new release, organizations can tune their database and manage index issues online, without interrupting service.”
IBM said IDS v10 comprises significant enhancements and numerous new features that broaden support for popular environments and boost system performance, including:
- Java-based installation feature cuts install time in half. The smaller footprint and silent install, makes it easier than ever to embed IDS into any application.
- Simplified administration – a new DBA only mode allows the DBA user full access to the engine while restricting all other access. Enterprise Replication (ER) now supports Templates to simplify deploying ER. Templates work with Informix Server Administrator so that ER can be setup from anywhere on the network.
- Backup and Restore Utilities have also been greatly enhanced to provide more flexibility, faster setup of secondary servers and better log management facilities.
- Improved High Availability Features reduce downtime, allow control of how ER updates are applied for added flexibility and reduce administration of replicates.
- Support for on-line rebuild of indexes, drastically reducing the time required for scheduled maintenance.
- Enhanced Security Options including extended PAM support, Column-Level Encryption and checks to ensure the environment is secure helps ensure the database systems are secure from unauthorized access.
- Extended Platform Support including the new Linux™ 2.6 kernel.
IDS version 10 is now available, with pricing for IDS Workgroup for under $1,000. IBM also plans an IDS v10 Express edition which will be available in the second quarter of 2005. For more information on IDS, please visit http://www.ibm.com/software/data