The important thing is that design is not just something that shows up in a product at the end of the production process -- it's something that should be thoroughly baked into the organization.
As Peters points out:
- "Design is Sony... in everything they do.
- "Design is Apple... in everything they do.
- :Design is BMW.. in everything they do.
- "Design is Starbucks.... in everything they do."
You get the picture -- design needs to be everywhere, Peters says. He provides several guidelines for becoming design centric:
- "Every project has a formal 'design advocate."
- "Everyone is encouraged through example to become design minded."
- "Design is always considered on five dimensions: 1) usability; 2) simplicity; 3) aesthetics; 4) 'Cool,' 'Wow,' 'Gaspworthy,' and 5) Excellence."
- "Every workspace is a living example of Exvellence in design -- it 'sings our song.""Design reviews are part of all project reviews."