Hello to the service designer,
In most SOA projects the main question is about how to model the data.
It is clear that the best model is canonical model that will represent each entity in a single way.
It is very popular to comply with some standard. For example UBL, eTOM/SID etc.
It also sounds correct to go with a global standard.
I would like to analyze pro's and con's for using a global standard for data modeling.
Pro's:1. Benefit from the experience of many others
2. Best for B2B (when all other partners will implement it as well)
3. Good for your reputation in the company. Managers love global standards
Con's1. Will never be sufficient and will require local enhancements
2. Requires adaptation by applications OR intensive integration work of data transformation
3. All teams must be educated on the standard and commit to it
4. Continuous alignment of the model to the standard's new versions.
If business people understands the data model.
If data transformation in your ESB is minimal and kept only to less than 30% of payload.