How do you make sure that you chose the right candidate for an EA job? Here are a few questions that, if answered to your satisfaction, may clear the way to the appointment.
Indeed, there maybe other questions that you may ask that would be more related to the specifics of the job.
Publications clear the way as well since you can evaluate first hand some of the opinions held and the communications skills of the candidate.
Not least, you have to assess that the chemistry works between you and the candidate.
But here are the questions:
- 1. What is architecture and what is EA and its scope?
- 2. What is BA? How does it look like? How do EA and BA relate?
Do you use a BA framework?- 3. What are the EA/BA deliveries one can expect? And how would they look like.
What would be the key artifacts?
- 4. How do you design an EA, what the key few process steps?- 5. How would the EA governance look like?
- 6. How would you organise the team?
- 7. What is an EA framework and what framework(s) would you use?
- 8. What is the relationship to other enterprise functions such as Strategy and Programs?
- 9. How would EA support business alignment?
- 10. How would EA enable complexity and change management?
- 11. What would you have on an EA 6 months delivery plan?
- 12. How do you justify EA and how to assess progress and value delivered?
Past experience with examples would reinforce the answers.
The CV is a key document that may answer your preliminary queries about business and IT knowledge, experience in managing stakeholders, soft skills...
An important step is to make sure of the veracity of the deliveries in the related positions held, by questioning the nature of deliveries (was it a diagram, a document...?).
The right candidate will vary though since different interviewers can expect different answers.