Top 10 reasons enterprises ought to move to cloud:
1. The ability to scale up IT capacity on-demand.
2. The ability to align use of IT resources directly with cost.
3. The ability to provide more IT agility to adapt to new business opportunities.
4. The ability to mix and match the right solutions for the business without having to purchase hardware and software.
5. The ability to place business volatility into a single domain...the cloud.
6. The ability to reduce operational costs, while increasing IT effectiveness.
7. The ability to manage huge data sets.
8. The ability to create customer-facing systems quickly.
9. The ability to shift capital dollars to other places needed by the business.
10. The ability balance processing between on-premise and cloud systems.
Top 10 reasons they have to be careful about:
1. Security is largely immature, and currently requires specialized expertise.
2. Much of the technology is proprietary, and thus can cause lock-in.
3. Your dependent on the cloud computing provider for your IT resources, thus you could be exposed around outages and other service interruptions.
4. Using the Internet can cause network latency with some cloud applications.
5. In some cases cloud providers are more expensive than on-premise systems.
6. Not in control of costs if subscription prices go up in the future.
7. Integration between on-premise and cloud-based systems can be problematic.
8. Compliance issues could raise the risks of using cloud computing.
9. Data privacy issues could arise, if your cloud provider seeks to monetize the data in their system.
10. M&A activity around cloud providers, could mean constantly adjusting and readjusting your cloud computing solutions.